Monday, May 13, 2013

My Love of Books

It all started with an assortment of Little Golden Books on my bookcase when I was a very small child.  Mom made sure they were within reach so that I could pull them out and read them whenever I so desired.  She also joined the Dr. Seuss book of the month club and I waited patiently for Mailman Bob to deliver the slim box of Dr. Seuss magic with great anticipation.   She read and reread them over and over again until I had them memorized. As soon as I started elementary school, Mom had me join the Scholastic Book club, where I would pick out paperback books to add to my expanding collection.  Those books opened me up to Laura Ingalls adventures, Nancy Drew and bio's of Madame Currie and Florence Nightengale.  I truly became addicted to reading and between my collection of books and the ones I checked out at the library, I always seemed to have my nose buried in one.  Oh, lets not forget the Tiger Beat's and 16 Magazines and MAD.  I couldn't go past the village drug store without buying my favorite magazines. Today I have an extensive collection including gardening, cooking, decorating, bio's, anything on Jackie Kennedy and Princess Diana.   I'm never bored because I always have those familiar "friends" to fall back on, to escape from troubles and worries.   Love of books was the best gift my Mother gave me.  Thank you mom.

No comments: