Monday, May 27, 2013

A Soldiers Death Long Ago

I looked him up on the Viet Nam Wall Memorial site this morning.  I've thought about him every Memorial Day since I heard of his death back in 1967.  I was eleven years old and the soldiers sister was my classmate and neighbor.  I remember them telling us in the classroom that her brother was killed in action.   I remember one of the moms in the neighborhood going door to door, taking up a collection and having a sympathy card signed.   I stood there with my mother while she signed the card.   I remember always seeing the gold star hanging from their front window.   I remember feeling sad even though I never knew him, yet he was a kid from the neighborhood so I felt connected in some small way and I guess that is why I felt the need to look him up today on the wall.  His name was Louis, he was born on April  6, 1946 and died  few days after his twenty-first birthday.  Thank you to Louis and all those who served and sacrificed.

LOUIS LLOYD GOERS


HM3 - E4 - Navy - Regular

Length of service 2 years
Casualty was on Apr 21, 1967
In QUANG TIN, SOUTH VIETNAM
HOSTILE, GROUND CASUALTY
OTHER CAUSES
Body was recovered

Panel 18E - Line 58





No comments: